Monday 9 January 2017

End of Module Evaluation - Design for Screen

Evaluating the Process 

Having never designed for screen before, I knew that this process would be a huge learning curve. Before designing anything, I first wanted to come up with a problem that could be successfully solved through creating a user experience. I made sure to ask and find out what the process is behind designing for screen and I was happy to hear that it is very similar to designing for print which is something more familiar to me. I carried out primary and secondary research as I would do for any brief, trying not to change my usual approach. I made sure to gather enough research to inform every design decision I made further down the line. 

When it came to designing, there were a number of aspects of the process that were new to me and so I had a lot to learn. This first involved learning how to sitemap and wireframe, two integral stages in designing for screen. We had a brief lecture on the two which helped understand the purpose of these stages, which at first wasn't obvious to me. Other skills learnt on this project include learning how to use new softwares such as After Effects and Experience Design. Unfortunately, after the number of inductions we had introducing us to After Effects, the software didn't appeal to me and I struggled to get to grips with it in terms of advancing my basic skills. However, I dealt with this by teaching myself how to use Experience Design which turned out to be much more suitable for the task in hand. This software allowed me to bring my designs to life and would be very useful if I were to carry out a similar brief in the professional world in terms of my relationship with digital developers.

In summary, tackling a new process seemed daunting at first, but through using my existing skills and knowledge in graphic design, along with inductions, lectures and visiting professionals, I managed to produce a unique smartphone app with a clear purpose and target audience. Working digitally has been a huge learning curve for me and I am glad that I made the most of the process, I now have a much better understanding of the process and, in future, I will know how to approach similar briefs. It is fair to say that I still prefer designing for print as of yet but I am now much more equipped to further my understanding of design for screen and, as there is such a huge market for it in the current day and age, I think it is worth doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment