Monday 29 February 2016

Tiger Economies



Tiger Economies //


tiger economy is the economy of a country which undergoes rapid economic growth, usually accompanied by an increase in standard of living


The next stage of my design decisions for the  money brief is to specify where my currency will be used.

Going back to something I learned about for Geography A level was Tiger Economies. The 4 Asian Tigers include Hong Kong, Singapore, South Korea and Taiwan. These economies are rapidly growing due to free markets and have all developed into advanced and high-income economies.

As these countries have a growing financial market, I will be exploring growing Asian economies and choosing one as my chosen currency to redesign. 

Japan

I am a huge fan of Asian culture and that is why I have booked a trip to japan in the summer. There are many things I like about the culture that include food, fashion and architecture.


The Japanese Yen banknotes to date are, in my opinion, slightly dull and understated. The imagery works well and is a great representation of their culture, however the design of the banknote means that the imagery is almost lost amongst the dull tones and overcomplicated patterns.




This is a redesign for the Japanese banknote. I think that these work a lot better as a series as they communicate key aspects of the culture whilst also using bright colours and bold text. These modern redesigns are similar to what I had in mind in terms of colour pallets, iconic imagery and typography. 


South Korea


The South Korean banknote is very similar to the current Japanese banknote. The colours work better with this design and the design isn't too overcomplicated. The imagery is quite ambiguous and so doesn't shout out anything specific about the culture apart from the iconic people used.

With my own designs I will be aiming to use a lot more obviously cultural imagery that will demonstrate key aspects of the culture of my chosen country. These aspects will include food, architecture and fashion.


Taiwan




Taiwan, being another Tiger economy, has a really nice existing banknote design. Being even less complicated than the two previous examples, the design is more clear and recognisable. 




I've found a project whereby someone has redesigned the Taiwan banknote but that also tackles biodiversity. The project has been designed with the use of stock in mind. 

One of the elements of banknotes that people prefer and that I will be focusing on throughout the project is the unique feel of the note. For this, I will be exploring a range of stock to print my design onto. I may also consider the carbon footprint of the production process. 


Cultural Imagery //

For the imagery in my designs, I will be exploring, in depth, all possible iconic imagery of the chosen country to use in my illustrations.

This imagery will include Food, Fashion and Architecture.













These three aspects of asian culture are what attracts me to the continent. They're all extremely unique to each country and hugely different from anything in the Western world.





No comments:

Post a Comment