Thursday 2 November 2017

OUGD603 - EP - Rebrand - Development

Development of
Ideas

To kick start the design process, I thought I would start by experimenting with type. I browsed various font websites for fonts that would relate to the existing character behind the brand. This character includes playfulness as well as the visuals associated with the word 'moist'. I searched for fonts that looked wet, bubbly, retro etc and downloaded them to compare.

The 4 fonts I took forward are these shown on the left.

1. Blowhole BB
2. Blowhole BB Italic
3. Frankfurt
4. Saveloy

I showed the client as well as fellow peers what they thought of each of the chosen fonts. The feedback I received was that the Frankfurt font would not work when used in various sizes as it is a busy font and may lose readability when made smaller. Similarly with the saveloy font, it may be harder to read at different sizes, the client wasn't very keen on the capital 'M' of the font either.

From the feedback, it was clear that the top two fonts were the most appropriate and the one I should take forward and experiment with.








Adding colour

Inspired by the colours and shapes found in the retro logo designs of the 90s, I have manipulated the type by adding a dripping effect to the letter 'i', added a drop shadow in a contrasting colour as well as adding a shine to each letter to add to the wet look.

I produced the design in three different colour ways for the client, he got back to me and said he prefers the pink and blue combination best.







Instagram Icon

One of the deliverables that the client and I set was to produce a logo for the Instagram icon. For this, I simply took the first letter of each word and combined them to create a small, easy to use logo.

I then applied it to a circle to see how it would look as an icon. The debate was whether to include the whole logo within the circle or whether to fit it inside the circle and have some of it missing.

The feedback suggests that the logo works best when the whole thing is visible.





Taking the brand further

Stickers

When brainstorming with the client as to how we can take the brand further and implement it in other ways, we came up with the idea to produce stickers. This is informed by the fact that a lot of streetwear brands nowadays hand out stickers in store and through delivery to appeal to the young target audience.

The idea is to send the stickers with the garments to customers when they purchase an item.

The other use for the stickers would be to place them alongside the garments in the photos uploaded to the Instagram account.




 Label Design

Another idea I had was to produce the logo as labels to attach to each item of clothing. This label would be like a tag you'd find on new clothes.

This idea was informed by the fact that each item sold is at least second hand and so it no longer has a price tag/label on it. This gives us the opportunity to attach our own label to further apply the new branding. The tag would make the item appear to be produced under the Moistifying Garms brand.


 Feedback

I printed all of my designs in small on a standard printer so that I could get a feel for the designs as well as receive some feedback. I benefitted hugely from this process as the designs came out looking a lot different to how they looked on screen. The type looked a lot more busy and less legible as well as the colours clashing slightly too much and becoming harsh on the eyes.

The feedback was to simplify the type down so that it would read better as well as removing any noice behind or around the type. This led to the idea to have the type on its own on one side of the tag and put the patterns on the flip side in full opacity.


from the feedback, I also simplified the type itself by reducing the opacity of the drop shadow as well as removing the white shine on each letter.


























No comments:

Post a Comment