Thursday 23 March 2017

China Town

China Town in Leeds

I first assumed that because there isn't one now that there had never been a China town in Leeds which is surprising seeing as all other major cities around the country have an area dedicated to Chinese culture. But my tutor told me that there once was a China town in the city of Leeds but over the years it has disappeared to make way for other businesses and industries.


I managed to find a photo dating back to 1928 that shows the area of Kirkgate being home to China town.Pagoda style arches spanned the street, decorated with lions and dragons as well as lanterns hanging across shop fronts.




















As China town in Leeds does not exist anymore, I went down to London to visit theirs instead to get some visual aid and inspiration. The colours of red and gold are very typical of Chinese culture as well as the use of dragons, lanterns and pagodas. I will be using this imagery as inspiration when designing my print.





No comments:

Post a Comment