Thursday 23 March 2017

Visiting the Public Space

Leeds Town Hall

After deciding to celebrate Chinese New Year through my print, the decision to visit the Leeds Town Hall was informed by the fact that every year the Chinese community of Leeds put on a show here. The brief specifies to celebrate both an occasion as well as where the occasion took place. After taking photos of the outside of this iconic building, I then wandered in and asked if I could take some photos on the inside.

I had never actually been into the hall before and I definitely wasn't expecting to see what I did. The space inside is unlike anything I've ever seen. 

My tutor mentioned that there is a documentary all about this building and the influence it has had on a global scale. For my next bit of research I will find this doc and watch it to get a better idea of the history of the building.



Documentary - Vimeo
People's Palaces: The Golden Age of Civic Architecture



I found a documentary about the civic architecture of North England in which it mentions Leeds Town Hall. Described as a Palace, the hall was seen as a huge deal and brought beauty to an otherwise ugly town.

"the symbol for civic architecture in the North East"

Below are some screen shots taken from the doc. They are of the 4 corners of the entrance hall ceiling as you enter the building. Each corner represents a continent, which in turn represents the fact that the building is not only a symbol of the north but one on a much more global scale.






No comments:

Post a Comment