Sunday 17 April 2016

Layout Excersise


Grid Layouts and Compositions

for my publication, it is important to consider all principles to ensure the design is informed and consistent.

I began with doing some quick thumbnail sketches of the different techniques and styles available that I can use to organise and compose the books content.

The different layouts can have different effects on how the information is interpreted by the reader. For example, formal newspapers use a strict grid system that displays information in an organised manor. This gives the text and imagery more importance and formality. However, with showbiz and tv magazines, the information is displayed in a much more haphazard, unorganised fashion. This is due to the less serious tone of voice and results in a slightly more engaging and exciting layout that appeals to a certain audience, different to that of the newspaper.






I then translated this onto my laptop and played around with the content of the publication. I experimented with paragraph shape and sizing as well as type setting.

As my book is all about being short and snappy, I wanted to make the paragraphs this way. One way to do this is to make them short and stumpy so that they are easily digested.




Similarly, with the drawings, I had to come up with a layout that suited each drawing and that would leave enough room around the edges to fit the extra info. I wanted to keep as much consistency between spreads as I could but problems arose with the shape of each drawing which meant that it had to be compromised.



Typesetting

typesetting is an important aspect of publication design as it controls things such as speed and comfort of the reader. The alignment of text is one way in which this is controlled, the readers eye must be taken from one line or paragraph to the next easily and comfortably. This will allow the reader to feel comfortable whilst reading as well as being able to digest information efficiently.








No comments:

Post a Comment