Thursday 18 May 2017

End of Module Evaluation

In evaluation of Studio Brief 01, I took the opportunity to make the most of the facilities available here at the college. As well as refreshing my memory and skills in screen printing, I also learned how to use the laser cuter which I then used to produce some wood block prints. This was a completely new process for me and one that I enjoyed thoroughly and will be utilising in the future. My aim for this project was to take traditional print one step further than I had done previously which was achieved through the wood block printing. Despite having used screen printing a number of times already on this course, I still experienced a limitation of the process this time round concerning image quality. I chose to screen print a photograph by producing a half-tone image. Unfortunately, a lot of detail in the image was lost when printing, this taught me that there are certain limitations when trying the screen print photography. Having experienced this means that I have now learned from it and will consider it when carrying out the process again. I chose to exhibit my poster in two exhibitions, the end of year show as well as a collective show as this is something I aim to do more of as I progress and something that I need to improve on in terms of getting my work out into the real world.

Studio brief 02 was definitely one of the biggest learning curves of this year and the course in general. I decided to tackle an issue that means a lot to me and has had a huge effect on my life for several years. At first, I was sceptical as to whether I wanted to revolve my work around such a sensitive subject, but looking back I am extremely glad that I did as it was beneficial for both me as a person as well as my development as a designer. Interviewing my own father as research for a project and coming up with real world solutions that could benefit his life as well as thousands of others around the country was an amazing experience and one that I will always aim to recreate. Getting in touch with a national charity such as Parkinson's UK and hearing that they want to see the work I produce was also a unique experience for me and it helped me through the project in terms of engagement. Having someone who is genuinely interested in my work and has the capability to take things further into the real world made the whole process feel a lot more real. The experience resulted in one of my strongest bodies of work so far and so has taught me that the real world aspects of the brief are things that really motivate me to push myself and my work further.

I also too the opportunity to refresh my memory of designing for screen through Experience Design and wire framing. Although this isn't an area of Graphic Design that I am really interested, the skills learned throughout the process are extremely valuable and is beneficial for my progression if I am able to confidently design for screen.


No comments:

Post a Comment