Wednesday 18 April 2018

OUGD603 - EP - Eatery - Screen Print

Screen Printing a
Door Way Hanging (Noren)

One of the outcomes we decided to produce for the restaurant rebrand, informed by research on the existing interiors, is a door way hang or otherwise known as a Japanese Noren.

The existing norens in the restaurant were authentic, however they would not comply with our branding guidelines and so a redesign would be necessary.

Existing hangings



My designs







 Feedback suggested that the noren should be more decorative and does not need to feature the restaurant name and logo in large. Informed by this, the final design was this:


Production

The background colour we decided on to be carried through the branding is an off white/ light brown colour. This informed my search for fabric. I went to the market in town where there is a stall selling all sorts of materials and chose an fabric that would be appropriate for textile screen printing. I has to make sure that the fabric would take the ink well and not bleed so that the design stayed crisp and clear.

Mixing the colours, I made sure to get them as close to our guidelines as possible. Performing a screen print allowed me to get the colours as bright as they appear on screen. 

I am not overly confident at screen printing, however I managed to get two good prints that we can photograph and submit.


Next, we need to trim down the material and stitch hems onto each side and a hoop on the top edge that allows us to hang from a doorway.



No comments:

Post a Comment