Wednesday 31 January 2018

OUGD603 - EP - Marmalade - Development & Feedback

Initial Production
and Feedback/Redesign

The first choice was what font to use. I wanted to font to look hand rendered but also have an element of sophistication. Out of the fonts below that I presented to the client as well as a group of peers, the feedback suggested that the more hand rendered fonts were harder to read and may not be legible for packaging. The top font is the one I went for based on this feedback. The type was then manipulated to make it unique to the brand.

The mock ups below show the design on a clear sticker. I used a standard image of marmalade to see how it might look. On the mock up the colours come out clear and legible. One change I had to make was to get rid of the colour white. This is due to the fact that the printers at uni do not print white ink. I did contact a printers service and enquired about a price however it was way too costly.

When I then printed to labels and applied them to the marmalade jars, I came across a number of limitations. Firstly, when the label was applied to the jar it left several small air bubbles. This meant that the design was really hard to see. The colours also did not stand out as I intended them to. This meant that I had to completely rethink the design.


Final Resolution

The final resolution is printed on an off white adhesive stock. this is informed by the client wanting the branding to look homemade. The label has a blank section on the far right that allows the client to write the names of the recipients as well as the sell by date and weight.

I then produced some circular stickers with the logotype on them to apply to the lids. This was informed by the fact that each jar was recycled and so each lid was a different colour. To keep the jars consistent, the stickers cover a majority of the lid in the same colour used on the label.




No comments:

Post a Comment