Tuesday 18 October 2016

Critique on my Progress


Getting feedback on where I'm at so far

To find out where I'm at and where I should head next I wrote down some question for my peers to answer. 

I first wanted to know if my page layout for the characters was too simple and if it needed any more detail or info. 

" No, the page isn't too simple as the simplicity adds to the ease of use"
" The consistency and simplicity helps the user make sense of the content and refer to it quickly and easily"
" The clear and tidy layout resembles Japan and its precise and clean culture and surroundings"
" If there were any more detailing, it would become harder to read and use"
" maybe look into introducing a small bit of detail, maybe a soft Japanese pattern that is only just visible"

The general feedback for this question was that the layout is not too simple and in fact adds to the ease of use. It also taught me that the simplicity is informed by Japan itself.

The next question I needed answering was the layout of my images of the opposing pages. I have chosen to use a mix of different layout styles, some including text and others full-bleed imagery. I wanted to know whether this worked as a series of layouts or whether I should simplify it or make them the same.

" The mix of layouts works well in contrast with the uniform layout of the characters on opposing page"
" Makes for a more interesting and engaging layout"
" allows for each image to be suitably and effectively laid out"

The feedback for this was also a positive one and so I have decided to stick with the mix of layouts.

Other Comments

- try to inform each colour choice for the chapters. Find a reason for using each colour
- relate colour to the choice of stock and printing method so that they all work in harmony 
- binding method of section perfect bind is suitable and makes sense according to the content being in categories.

Where to head next...

My next steps to take are to 
- choose the stock I want to use for the hard back binding and the main content.
- try to make decisions on colours used informed by content





No comments:

Post a Comment