Thursday 13 October 2016

Hardback Design

Hardback Book Covers

Durable & Resistant

I have made the design decision to produce my publication with a hardback cover. This is inspired by the Monocle guides and will give my book durability. This is important as the book will need to be carried around, it will also make it water resistant.



This is an example of a hardback book that has been printed onto. This is similar to what I had in mind, however my aim is to design the front cover using bold, playful colours and I don't think that I would be able to make the colours as bright and bold if printed onto textiles.





This gave me the idea to produce a sleeve. This would allow me to use a material/stock similar to the one above but also produce a bold and bright cover that would grab the attention of the buyer.

However, after giving it thought, I decided that a book that needs to be referred to often and easily would not benefit from having a sleeve and it would only add hassle for the user. 


This sleeve is combined with the cover of the books inside to create a new design. The book is titled maze, and so the design decision to produce this was informed by the content.













I have signed up for a book binding tutorial so that I can better my understanding of hard back books and perfect binds. I want to know whether its possible to wrap the hard back cover in a paper stock. This is because I want to achieve a bright and colourful cover which would only work on certain paper stocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment