Thursday 3 November 2016

Individual Practice

Finding Live Briefs
suited to my interests in Graphic Design


Substantial Briefs

One Competition entry must be a substantial brief that has depth and plenty of exploration involved

YCN

Fedrigoni

- Design a highly coveted Christmas gift using their Constellation range of paper stock
- Combining Graphic Design with paper to inspire use of more unique paper range
- Have emailed them for a sample pack
- Gift handed out to key customers
- 1500 copies

- I can relate to this brief as GD as a discipline teaches you to appreciate paper stock and its uses
- I prefer paper based design as apposed to digital

- This is applying print media to something that's already physical (stock)

YCN Entry Details

- The deadline for submitting work is 11.59PM GMT on Thursday 23rd March 2017.
- There is no entry fee to submit work.
- You do not need to be a Member of YCN to enter.
- You can respond to as many briefs as you wish. You may also submit more than one response per brief.
- All submissions must be in the English language.
- You may submit work as an individual or as a team. Teams can consist of as many people as you wish.


- Could maybe collaborate ? ^

D&AD

Arjowiggins

- Outline importance of paper in the digital age
- choose between Facebook, Instagram or Sony Music
- Create Campaign with paper at its core
- aimed at people who only use digital, who don't appreciate paper

- Although this brief is similar to the Fedrigoni one, the big difference with this one is that it focuses on transforming something that is predominantly digital and communicating it through print
- This is why I am going to choose this brief as my substantial one



The Challenge

1. Choose one of Facebook, Instagram, or Sony Music – companies that exist solely or mainly online, engaging with their customers in the digital realm. 


2. Create a campaign or initiative, service or product with paper at its core, to promote your chosen brand and at the same time champion the importance of paper in an increasingly digital world. 

Considerations


1. What opportunities or challenges does your chosen brand present when it comes to paper? 



Smaller Briefs

Secret 7

Secret 7” takes 7 tracks from 7 of the best-known musicians around and presses each one 100 times to 7” vinyl. We then invite creatives from around the world to interpret the tracks in their own style for every 7”. 700 sleeves are exhibited and then sold for £50 apiece. You don’t know who created the sleeve, or even which song it’s for, until you have parted with your cash - the secret lies within.

- I entered this competition last year and it was my first ever live brief
- I am tempted to reenter this year as I have made huge progress with my practice and skills since then and would like to see how much further I can take such a broad brief.
- I also enjoyed the competition last year and I think I'd have even more fun with it this year.


Penguin

The Penguin Random House Student Design Award is an opportunity for students interested in pursuing a career in design to experience real cover design briefs first-hand.

- As we're nearing the end of a publication brief in another module, I have become very interested and engrossed in the process
- with this fresh in my mind, I think I can have a lot of fun with this one and approach it accordingly




No comments:

Post a Comment